Friday, March 27, 2009

Good Morning


It's been a rough few days for me. I have wanted to post again about Mexico, but my brain is working against me. My throat hurts, my ear hurts, it hurts to breathe and I can't talk above a whisper. PLOM

On Monday, I had to go with Rob to the VA facility in the valley. It's about 40 miles from here. This was the Alzheimer's doctor. Rob didn't score very well. He was having a bad morning. After his appointment, I had to go see the doctor here at home. I'm taking antibiotics but still feel pretty miserable.

Yesterday, Rob had 2 appointments with the VA. One was in the valley and the other in West Los Angeles. It was a full day for us. I did all the driving. Rob's back is messed up big time. He is now scheduled to have an injection in his spine for pain relief and also to talk to the surgeon. I am pretty opposed to back surgery, but the doc told us that the disc is impinging the nerve on both sides. No wonder my dear hubby is in so much pain. He also needs to have surgery on his ankle. I didn't realize how very much damage there was to his back.

This is where our prayer life and relationship with the Lord have the most importance. Sometimes our health problems overwhelm us and hope goes out the window. We feel alone and separated from the rest of the world. But there is hope. Whatever is going on in our lives, there is hope in Jesus. Three months ago, I was so sick I hadn't been out of bed in a long time. We prayed and I earnestly sought the Lord for a change. Even though I am sick right now, I am so much better than I had been. I am so grateful.

It's hard to feel the joy of the Lord when you are in pain, afraid, depressed or lonely. There are scriptures that can help. My favorite is in the book of Romans: Rom 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? Rom 8:32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Rom 8:33 Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Rom 8:34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Rom 8:36 As it is written: "FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE KILLED ALL DAY LONG; WE ARE ACCOUNTED AS SHEEP FOR THE SLAUGHTER." Rom 8:37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, Rom 8:39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
I am awed by this scripture. Once I have given myself to Christ, there is NOTHING that will take His love from me. He himself is interceding for me even (or especially) in my darkest hours. In the midst of what is going on in the world right now, I rest in the knowledge that God is on my side. He's on your side as well if you know Jesus as your savior.
******************
It's not morning now . . . doctor's office called to say it's not strep. They wanted me back in. Now they say it is strep again and have given me more potent antibiotics. This is where my faith gets tested. I'm very crabby when I don't feel well and all these trips out make me frustrated. However ~ just a moment ago I read news from my dear friend Tom.
His wife Sharon has just come through a successful heart valve replacement. My problems are minuscule. It will be a few days before she is even conscious and I frustrate myself over a sore throat. Please pray for Tom and Sharon.

As always, I pray for each and everyone of you. I have been reading your blogs and trying to comment. If I haven't, please be patient with me. I will get there. Blessings and love,

7 comments:

Linda's World said...

I had back surgery in March of 1992. (I was injured at work.)They did a fusion from L4-L5-S1. My recouperation took some time (it's a slow process). But I eventually got back to work full time and worked until I retired in Feb 1, 2007. I still mow my own lawn, do my own housework. The procedures today (even in 1992) are so remarkable that if he has to have it (I'd get a second opinion) I believe he will feel better once he's healed. Best wishes in the hea;th decisions before you. Linda in Washington state

Heli gunner Tom said...

Penny, your probs are NOT small! you have helped us, and now it's our turn to help you. Please email me with more info about shots to Rob's back.. I am interested. And yes, I well know what it means to be sorely tested.. and hard! My prayers are with you two Christians now, and I want to call Rob and you can tell him your thoughts. Please know that I am praying for YOU!

Hugs,
tom
tschuckman@aol.com
Jesus is Lord.

Carolyn said...

Penny, I used to think my problems were small compared to others as well, and it's still hard sometimes for me to ask for prayer for myself when others have so much more needed! I do pray you and Rob both will get healthy again- and that even though you have blessed us through the things you have already gone through, I pray that what you and Rob continue to go through will receive blessings through it all! I like the sciptures you gave us here. When I get in my dark places (which for some reason is more and more these days) I have found so much peace though a Book I never really understood- Psalms. I am determined to remember that what I am suffering lately (not so much physical, but emotional and mental stress) and perhaps for my brothers and sisters in Christ as well- is the Lord is drawing us so much closer to Him by us having to depend so much more on Him. Does this make sence? I'm sorry to ramble on like this! I love you lots dear sister~

Lisa said...

Oh Penny I will say prayers for you and for Tom and Sharon too... may God heal you now in Jesus name!! I command all illness to leave your body at once. Thank you Lord for taking care of Penny and for the beautiful scripture she shared in this entry.
Lisa in KY

Barbara said...

I will specificly pray for the issues you mentioned today. Thank you for sharing those verses. Last week as I was reading in Mark this stood out 4:40 "Why are you afraid? How is it that you have no faith?" Jesus had just calmed the storm. I went back to bed smiling. With a God like ours why is it I have no faith? because I am not focusing on him. I get cranky when I don't feel well to and haven't been feeling well so I know where you are coming from and how hard it can be to be hopefull when health or other issues are so in your face, so to speak. I appreciate your prayers and the encouragement I get from your journal. Know that you are in my prayers as well.
Barbara

Carlene Noggle said...

Prayers going up for both you and Rob.
love ya,
carlene

Pamela said...

I hurt my back a work. Had 2 bulging discs L4-L5. Not a surgery candidate, but it was painful! I had numerous epidural injections. Finally, it worked and I am better. It's only by the grace of GOD! Give Rob my best. Will keep you both in my prayers.
xoxox