Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Little bit of History

When my late husband Roger and I married, he had a dream. He wanted to retire to Mexico. He had this funky 13 foot round-looking trailer on the beach there and thought it was paradise. There was no electricity, no water and no room. I loved that beautiful beach, but hated that trailer. So he bought another and we moved . . . part-time at first. We lived half our time on our 36' sailboat in San Diego and the other half in Mexico. I was finishing up my 2-year college degree.

Roger bought (leased) another couple of lots by the beach, sold a couple of lots, and we had plans drawn up for our dream house. Below is a picture of the house some years later and during the construction of the garage.


It was never meant to be this big. Our dream was to have the kitchen, living room and garage on the lower level and one gigantic loft room above. We started the project in 1990. The house was livable in March, 1998 ~ 7 months after Roger died.

A lot of stuff happened in those 8 years. The project stalled several times. We had to build a room addition around the 30' trailer we were living across the street. By the time we did that, of course, we had electricity and a tank below ground to hold our everyday water, which was trucked in as we ordered it. We drank bottled water.

1995, we got phones! I got the Internet and have been addicted ever since. What a pleasure it was to communicate with people I loved. It was very expensive. Calls beyond our specific area were also expensive and to the U.S. were $1.39/minute back then.

In 1989, I started to work with Helping Hands of Mexico . Click here to find information about it. It was founded by Howard and June Schrock, our friends from Bible study. I worked in the free clinic there, first one day a week, then two, then four. Many days I worked alone, using the book Where There is No Doctor which was recommended by the RN that worked there from time to time. During that time, I started to bring home sick babies, an abused 10 year-old and others.

That's when the house began to change and us with it. When we left California, all of our kids were grown and I happily left my "mom" life for retirement. However, right after we got married, we rededicated our lives to God's service. I was in for a rude awakening.

There is so much to tell, I can't do it in one posting. I spent 15 years in Mexico and saw more life than I saw in all the 56 years before I left there. I'm hoping to share some of the joys and sorrows with you all.

Until then, you are all in my prayers. Love and many blessings, Penny



6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Alot of memories you have Penny. The house looks beautiful, and I'm glad Roger got to see it started- becoming a reality. I imagine there is a lot of happy thoughts and painful ones which go along with this story, but I'm glad you're sharing it with us. God Bless and I look forward to hearing more. You're in my prayers always Penny~

Lisa said...

I like this entry... wow what a house.... gorgeous! Love those windows. I love hearing your history and dreams of past years. Looking forward to the next post.
Lisa

Heli gunner Tom said...

Dear Penny and Rob,
It's good to hear from you again! It's always a treat for me to hear and read about your life in the Lord, etc. I am happy that a fellow servant of God is able to reach out and share her testimony of a Christ-inspired life. You are a blessing to me and many others.

Hugs,
Tom S
tschuckman@aol.com

Donna. W said...

I'm anxiously awaiting your next post. Finally we're learning about the road you traveled to get where you are.

Barbara said...

I really enjoyed this post and look forward to learning more about you.

Pamela said...

Looks like a beautiful home! I look forward to more entries with your stories.
xoxox